Pit Lane Driver Change Procedure 2016

Home Forums General Season Discussion Pit Lane Driver Change Procedure 2016

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kev
    Participant

Having missed the last few races of last year, we’re unclear about what the procedure now is for driver changes and the pushing of karts down the pit lane this year.

There was a few posts on here last year talking about some karts being walked down the pit lane with a marshal while others were allowed to push theirs at speed (which has always been how it’s been done, up until our last race anyway).

Can we have some clarity on this before the start of the season?
    I’d say that there can be a good 10 to 15 seconds or so difference between walking speed and running speed down the pit lane and without a clear policy, I think this is an issue which could really have a significant impact given the extremely close racing we enjoy in our series. It’s also a real kick in the N***s for people if they spend their stint sweating their B***s off for every tenth only to have all the hard work undone by being walked down the pit lane while the next team to refuel gets to run past.

I think there was a race last year with 0.0068 of a second between first and second place!

In my opinion, there was nothing wrong with the way it was being done early last year.
    Engines of after the weigh bridge, before the fuel bay, Kart pushed into the fuel bay (I think we were all sensible enough to do this at a speed which was safe), driver on the back of the seat whilst refuelling (this was another rule that was applied some races but not others).
    Then the kart could be pushed down to the very end of the pit lane as fast as the “Pusher” could run (I don’t see the danger here to be honest).

I would suggest a new thick white line is painted across the pit lane towards the exit end to mark the “Starting zone” (2 cones would do it if we are on a budget) as I think some teams tend to pull up midway down the pit lane to do their driver change and then when they re-start their engines, they manage to grab a bit too much of the pit lane back with their engines running.

The racing is so close now, which is great and makes it so much more enjoyable and so I think we need to make sure we don’t have races won or lost in the pit lane due to a lack of a fair and well policed policy.

I apologise if this was all sorted last year and I am waffling for nothing.
    As I say, I missed the last few races and so I’m only going by what was posted on here in 2015.

Cheers
    Kev

Mark
    Keymaster

Hi Kev,

Good topic! Something which does need clarifying.

So last year was probably one of the closest seasons we’ve had in years, races being won by tenths rather than seconds/laps. During certain races there was increasing pressure for the track to clamp down on teams who we thought were abusing the quick push down the pits.

Given how tight it was in the Championship all the way down the field the track took action. Was this the right action? – in hindsight probably not, however they needed to take action. In reality the track could not walk everyone down the pits and therefore caused more inconsistencies.

This year, Kelvin Nicholls will be part of our Championship and will hopefully mature and enforce the rules we currently have in place.

So, 2016. *To be confirmed in drivers briefing..

– Driver places his hand up just before going into the pits and to drive off the track on the left hand side.
    – Driver comes to a complete stop at the weighbridge cones and to proceed by the Weigh bridge Marshall.
    – Driver stops on the weighbridge until instructed to move on.
    If you are underweight, the Marshall will push you back off the weighbridge, ensure the scales are reading 0.00 and the driver is free to drive back on.
    – Once instructed, drive off the weighbridge turn the corner (Allowing engine power) and to turn both engines off before/at the sign post. Another team member must push your kart into the fuel bay (to the right) where the driver has to fully vacate the seat. Unless the driver is fully out of the seat and ready to hold the nozzle – no fuel will be added.
    – Once fueled, the driver is then required to get back into the seat and screw the fuel cap tightly whilst the other team member is pushing the kart *Only one team member is allowed to push the kart from the weigh bridge to the driver change spot*
    – Driver change can take place and engines on.

Any weight issues need to be discussed with the Clerk of the course immediately.

Kev
    Participant

Cheers Mark

The rules you have mentioned sort out the sitting on the back of the seat while refuelling but don’t really address either of the other two issues:

1. Are we being walked down the pit lane by the Marshall (every single driver change for every team without exception) are we being asked to walk and will be monitored doing so by the Marshall (which I think will be impossible to police and labour intensive) or are we allowed to push the kart as quickly as we like as has always been the case and to my knowledge, has never caused any sort of accident.

2. Can we have a clear line at the end of the pit lane before which we are not allowed to restart engines (cones will do).

It’s really competitive now and great fun as a result and so I do think this needs clearing up before the season starts to make sure the competition stays on the track and not down the pit lane.

Like you said, I’m sure Kelvin will enforce whatever is in place.

Cheers Mark

I’ve been chatting to Bill from Eyrie and Andy from Burton Power tonight and we’re all really looking forward to this year.

Website looks great by the way ??

Kev

Mark
    Keymaster

Thanks Kev,

Sorry If I was not clear.

are we being walked down the pit lane by the Marshall (every single driver change for every team without exception) are we being asked to walk and will be monitored doing so by the Marshall (which I think will be impossible to police and labour intensive) or are we allowed to push the kart as quickly as we like as has always been the case and to my knowledge, has never caused any sort of accident.

No, you will be pushed by one of your team to the fuel bay and out of the fuel bay. You are only allowed one team member pushing as fast as you can (Like previously)

Can we have a clear line at the end of the pit lane before which we are not allowed to restart engines (cones will do).

Yes, this should/will be in place for the first race in March.

Looking forward to the series Kev! There maybe a surprise for the first race of the season – just waiting for confirmation 🙂

Exciting stuff 🙂

Kev
    Participant

Perfect!!!

I literally can’t wait!
    We are Testing next Wednesday and then I’ve arrange an ITS Grand Prix for our staff in the evening.
    We have so many people wanting to get involved this year!

Our second team is sorted but we have 41 people confirmed for the evening next week and I bet some of them “get the bug” and want to join the series.

A surprise for the start of the season ay?
    Sounds interesting mate!
    OMG I can’t wait for this season to get started.
    ???

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.